If you are a Writer, using OpenOffice.org as you main tool, Dimitri Popov’s “Writer for Writers and Advanced Users” might be the book for you to read. And Dimitri does know his OpenOffice, as he also publishes the “WriterTools” extension. WriterTools in version 0.7.1 includes features such as:
- Lookup Tool – select text and lookup it up in several online references, including Cambridge Dictionaries, WordNet, and Google Define.
- Google Translate – select text and translate it to different languages using the Google Translate service.
- Email Backup – Backup your currently open document per E-Mail.
- Multi-format Backup macro – saves the currently open text document Writer) as Word, RTF, and TXT formats in one command.
- Open FTP Document – open a document stored on an FTP server and work on it locally.
- Convert to DokuWiki converts the current document into DokuWiki format.
- Start/Stop Timer – keep track how long you work on which document and save the data in the accompanying WriterDB database. Use it as you please, such as for billing etc.
This set of tools utilizes the new OpenOffice.org extension infrastructure. Which seems to gain momentum in general.
I find the DokuWiki macro real nifty. I bet, if it would be MediaWiki as output, a lot of Wikipedia authors would become OOo converts.